Saturday, July 29, 2006

Where Were You When We Were Gettin' High?

I'm listening to "Champagne Supernova" on Launchcast. I used to LURVE Oasis. I still really dig their song "The Masterplan". Other than that, they were so overplayed while I was in high school that I'm still a little bit sick of them. Are they even still together? Eh, I don't really care.

Does your job do random drug testing or pre-employment drug testing?

I guess pre-employment testing is okay--I can understand making sure you don't hire a crack fiend or something. But I think random drug testing--ESPECIALLY in white collar jobs--is a huge invasion of my privacy. AND, the testing (and therefore my job) dictates what I can do in my personal, private, not-at-work time. And I think that's a bunch of fucking bullshit.

First, let me say, that MOST people are not going to smoke crack or shoot up or take a drink while at work. I know there are a few, and that if they're the crane operators or the lift drivers, that's a problem--just look at what happend with the drunk captian of the Exxon Valdez. But since most people at least have the common sense to leave that shit out of work, I don't generally assume that people are doing shit at work. That may be naiive. I don't care if you're a McWorker, a CEO, or an oil worker--leave that shit in your personal time and you can do what you want, I don't care.

But random drug testing doesn't just tell employers if their staff is smoking a blunt during work time--it also tells them if their staff took a hit last night, or over the weekend--off the clock time. And, since it's nearly to impossible to tell from a drug test if the employee was doing drugs five minutes ago at work or five days ago in Vegas, the employee gets canned, even if he wasn't doing drugs on the job.

And that's what's pissing me off.

Most people don't like their jobs. Most people have some form of relaxation to get away from the stress and shittiness of their jobs. A lot of people go out to bars or have a drink at home or have a bowl at home. It's how they relax and how they stay sane. It actually makes them able to do their job better because they were unable to wind a little bit the night (weekend) before.

But they can't do that if they have to fear getting canned because their employer tests their piss every now and again without any warning.

And the thing that really gets me? They don't test for booze. But pot? Oh yes. I could toke up twice a month and be canned before a "functioning" alcoholic would be, because they would KNOW I partook of the hippie lettuce. Bullshit.

I love that corporate no longer cares about the quality of your work, but only about your appearance, your deportment, and if you do drugs outside of work on your own time. It's the fact that my job, which already dictates what I do 10 hours of the day, gets to dictate what I do the other 14 hours of the day too. FEH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home