Saturday, July 29, 2006

Of Dishes and Eco-Consciousness

Well some of the dishes are now clean. Unfortunately, our garbage disposal started trying to go all wonky on me again and not drain, so I spent most of my 'tween post time remedying that problem. Now we know that a shitload of baking soda and a hell of a lot of vinegar will do the job of kicking its mechanical ass back into submission as well enough to not need draino for a while. I'd really rather not use draino.

Part of me is terrified of the chemicals inherent within it and their power to burn the living shit out of anything organic, but lately, I'm also really uncomfortable with using something so harsh because of the ecological ramifications. If you live in the Philadelphia area, you know there's already a lot of nastiness being dumped into the local rivers--in the past two years we've had an oil spill in the Delaware River and a cyanide spill into the Schuykill river. Can we really afford any more crap going in there, even by accident? I don't think so.

As I mentioned on my blog a few weeks back, after seeing An Inconvenient Truth, I feel my old eco-conscious self coming back. I'm noticing again what objects and products I'm using and buying and seeing that aren't good for the environment, and I'm slowly lessening my impact. I know I'll never see the actual difference I make, but at least I'm doing something. And if the movie is still at the Ritz this week, I'm going to try and get a group of folks together to go see it. If you're in the area and interested, leave a comment.

2 Comments:

At July 29, 2006 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, I'm surfing around the blogathon and I wanted to say keep up the good work. :)

 
At July 29, 2006 11:30 AM, Blogger rebecca said...

you know i'd be up for it...unless it's monday b/c i'm trying to find a ticket to s-k

 

Post a Comment

<< Home